Friday, June 15, 2007

Director locates Bob and Jack's life long friend

Hi Bob.
After...the after party. Once the screenings at NewFest, the New York LGBT Film Festival were over, I had one last mission. I needed to track down your friend, Robert Adams. I better tell everyone else the story.
He is the good looking blond on the far right of this picture. We use this photo in the documentary; and after a screening, people want to know more about him. (BTW- our Bob is three over from the right).


This picture was taken in 1952 when everyone was in their mid-twenties. Everyone has stayed in contact until last Christmas when no greeting card arrived from Robert Adams.
Unfortunately in our gay community, that is often how an older person learns of a friends death. There is no support group to call with important news because many older people are estranged from their extended family. Friends often pass away without word. And so the best way to know if a long-distance friend is still well is simply receiving a Christmas card from them. So why not resolve this nagging question in a more humane way.

Bob, you had told me how you both met while he was biking across Europe and you loaned him 20 dollars; how later he gave you and Jack a place to stay NY while Jack worked out the separation with his wife.

I knew that he became a well known classical radio announcer here in New York

I had his address and phone number. But I didn't know what to expect when I called the number.

Well he's alive but I didn't know if his quality of life had deteriorated and all this was going to be a depressing end to my trip.

He invited me up to his apartment in the West Eighties for lunch.


Not only is he in great shape mentally and physically, he is just as articulate and curious as he always has been. And, the smile is still as radiant as it was then.


If I look this good with I'm in my eighties then I will fill blessed.

He has someone helping him around his home who served us soup and sandwiches. And so we sat at a small table discussing everything from Buddhism, to some of the famous composers he had met, to the Stonewall riots.






And the one thing he kept saying was, that the most important thing in life is love.


There is the small problem of the DVD that I gave him.
He has no idea how to play it.
But he says he DOES have plenty of people in his life who can show him.
As always check the website for the latest: www.bobandjack.org

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Claunch said...

This is just wonderful, Stu! I can't tell you how pleased we are to see these pictures. He looks great...still!
Call as soon as you can with details!

June 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger phoenix316 said...

This is a great 'sub plot' that took me, at least, by surprise. As always, "Great Stuff!"

June 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home