Thursday, May 15, 2008

Will Bob and Jack get married now?


Bob Claunch and Jack Reavley on their way to lunch Wednesday, May 14th, 2008


California's Gays and Lesbians won the right to marry today in a court decision that had many of my out of state friends emailing and phoning their congratulations. I suddenly had a fundamental right that I had been denied all my life. I absolutely expected to be joyous and free but instead was overwhelmed. What do I do now? I have a four year relationship that was moving toward domestic partnership in the next few months. But now, that's all up in the air.
Why take half measures? What's holding us back now? Come on, let's go to the alter.
I stopped and wondered what it must be like for Bob and Jack, the gay couple in my documentary "Bob and Jack's 52-Year Adventure." They have been denied the right to marry for more than half a century together.



In my mind they should be first in line at the LA courthouse. They should be on the cover of Time magazine and interviewed on the local news as they tie the knot.
Up to now they've always said that they were all for marriage but it's not for them. Until today, I could have said the same for myself. It was convenient not to contemplate because it wasn't an option.

I wonder, Bob and Jack, are you reconsidering?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home